October 3, 2017
2017 Friends of NHS/AVS Golf Open
The 26th Annual Friends of NHS Allegheny Valley School Golf Open was held on Monday, September 18 at Chartiers Country Club. A golf scramble was enjoyed by 129 golfers while raising funds to support NHS/AVS programs and honoring Blackburn’s/Har-kel as the 2017 AVS CHAMPion. Event chairperson Rick Mongiovi, of Mongiovi and Son, brought many new golfers and friends to the event which helped us to exceed our goal! Support from sponsors, golfers, underwriters, donors and auction participants resulted in more than $136,000 in proceeds from the day! Net proceeds from the event are contributed to the Capital Development Fund and will help NHS/AVS to maintain and improve the services it provides to nearly 850 individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities throughout Pennsylvania.
Before the golfers teed off, members of the NHS/AVS Pittsburgh Campus Choir performed the National Anthem. Rick then led everyone in a golf towel wave as the carts took to the course. The sunny day kept golfers in good spirits as they participated in contests around the course. New this year was a twist on a putting contest. Golfers were blind folded and listened to a sound machine next to the hole. Throughout the day, 13 golfers made a hole-in-one on the blindfolded contest. During dinner, the AVS CHAMPion Award was presented to Blackburn’s/Har-kel. The AVS CHAMPion Award recognizes those who go above and beyond to promote and support NHS/AVS. Ron Rukas and Skip Katich from the Blackburn’s/Har-kel team accepted the award on behalf of the company.
Golf prizes were given at the conclusion of the evening. Congratulations to all the winners of the day!
- 1st place team (score of 58) Mamaux Supply: Frank Lodovico, John Lodovico and Tony Aucuri
- 2nd place team (score of 59) CentiMark: Jim Gasper, John Heisey, Dennis When, and Mark Rubenstein
- 3rd place team (score of 59) Dollar Bank: Jim Wheeler, Gennaro DiBello, Tom Bakaitus and George Hric
- Longest Drive: Dan Martin and Michelle Miller
- Straightest Dive: Justin Skerbetz
- Longest Putt: Jeff Holzerland
- Closest to the Pin: Gary Rudzik
- Putting Contest: Ron Rukas
We are so grateful to all who made the 2017 Friends of NHS Allegheny Valley School Golf Open a huge success.